Social media is everywhere and just about anybody and everybody we know dabbles in social media. You’ll be surprised that even maids and vendors have Facebook and IG accounts. Social media knows no rank so even the nobodys (people with no jobs and careers), have social media accounts where they try to be somebody. The thing is these people corrupt social media which should instead be a social platform to exchange and share ideas.
SOCIAL MEDIA ETIQUETTE:
- DON’T PRETEND TO BE SOMEONE YOU’RE NOT – Social media is a tricky thing. The virtual people you meet in social media are so different from their real selves. There are many people who pretend to be someone they are not either in looks (using tons of filter) or in their status in life. There are many who appear gorgeous and larger than life in social media but when you meet them in person all your expectations go down the drain because they are actually ugly and dwarfish. That’s why when you compliment them they’ll say “panget ako sa personal.” Meron naman iba diyan, kung mag-post akala mo explorer or adventurer, nasa bundok or island, pero in reality kaya lang pala siya nandoon, breaktime nila dahil nagbubungkal siya ng lupa. Contractual / messenger pala sa isang government agency at kaya hindi siya maging regular employee kasi 2x flunker sa civil service exam. Tapos akala mo may private jet siya yun pala sa sahig lang natutulog at sa isang dumpy apartment lang nakatira. Karamihan diyan sa mga social media whores walang mga career. Walang mga trabaho. Nobodys in real life. Umaasa lang sa donation at sponsor. All they care about is the attention. At the end of the day, they are nothing. Kung may walking dead, meron ding walking scums who roam the earth. So there!
- DON’T BE A WHINER / DON’T SHARE GORY STUFF / DON’T POST CORPSES – isn’t it irritating to be reading the posts of someone who keeps whining and perennially complaining about his sorry state in life? Must you share your sob story with all of us? Just kill yourself and end it! Whatever happens to us is because of our own doing. All of us want to read about good and informative things. Please also don’t share gory stuff because we don’t care about that and please don’t post photos of your dead relatives!!! Some things are better left unseen and a corpse is one of them! My God, I actually have an FB friend who posted his selfie with a corpse. Grabe as in! Weekend at Bernie’s ang peg niya haha!
- DON’T BE AN EGOTISTICAL, CONCEITED, PENTENTIOUS BRAGGART – some people love to brag about what they have – the material things. It’s not really bad to share but to do it ALL THE TIME is sickening. Someone I know keeps posting and showing off all her new clothes and shoes bearing signature brands. It has reached the alarming point that it’s not anymore sharing but bragging. So ano tawag sa kanya? Egotistical, conceited, pententious (attempting to impress) braggart. Eh hindi naman siya kagandahan. Mukha pa din siya unggoy. Maitim at maliit. Maski damitan mo ng signature brands, monkey pa din ang dating. You can always “unfollow” people who irritate you with their posts. Click the button. Now! Usually yang mga mayabang at conceited na ganyan, may insecurity yan sa sarili or sa buhay so bragging is their defense mechanism at dinadaan sa yabang as compared to those who are simple, quiet and self-assured. Yung mga biglang yaman or nagkaroon ng konting pera, yan ang maingay at ipinagyayabang nila na rich sila or they show off material stuff they have but they are devoid of class while the truly rich and cultured people are so low-key you will never hear anything from them. So there.!
- DON’T DISCUSS POLITICS AND GET INTO ARGUMENTS – let’s avoid posting political views (doon ka na lang sa page where you share the same political sentiments) in our FB page because not everyone will agree with our views. You will just get into an argument or even risk being unfriended and gain a new enemy. The argument will go on and on and on (Stephen Bishop) and no one will ever give up. Magpapatalo ba ang isang pro-Duterte sa isang pro-dilawan? Also avoid showbiz stuff. One may be pro-JaDine and the other is pro-KatNiel or isang rabid Vilmanian over a Noranian. Who is the greater actress? Naku walang katapusang debate yan!
- PRIORITIZE LIKING THE POSTS OF PEOPLE WHO MATTER TO YOU – let’s prioritize liking the posts of people we care about – family, close friends and special friend. Hindi yung inuuna mo pa i-like yung posts sa FB at IG ng mga taong hindi mo naman kaano-ano at hindi ka naman kilala. Unahin mo muna yung mga tumutulong sa yo. At huwag mong gawing reason na hindi lumabas sa feed mo kaya hindi mo na-like yung posts of people who matter to you. Si IG pa pala ang may kasalanan. What about checking the person’s wall if you missed something? It’s like saying “I didn’t pay the Meralco bill because I didn’t get the statement.” Then check the account to find out!!! Also never give priority to virtual people / people you have not even met over people who you personally know especially those who have helped you. Liking posts of celebrities is not really a bad thing because we are all fans at heart but we should always prioritize liking the posts of people we personally know – like our family, friends, colleagues and special friends. Basta unahin mo muna maglike sa mga tao who matter to you as a sign of gratitude and goodwill and then you can like ALL the posts of celebrities and virtual people till kingdom come. Ayun!
- INTERACT WITH PEOPLE AND SAY THANK YOU – there are so many FB friends who just like their posts being liked but they don’t like back the posts of those who like them. Ano ba yan? It’s give and take. If you’re in FB or IG at hindi naman masyadong labag sa kalooban mo na I-like ang post ng friend mo, then click “like.” Another bad thing is not responding or even acknowledging comments. Magpopost kayo tapos you ignore comments? Or yung may favoritism. He will just respond to the comments of people he likes. Yung iba dedma. Ang bastos di ba? Dapat diyan ban sa social media. There is a new thing in FB and IG where you can tap the comment to show that you acknowledged it. You need not respond. One more thing, when you send a message in FB messenger and you are just “seen” that is so rude. R-U-D-E. When I confirm a friend request, I always say “thanks for your friend request.” If he or she does not reply and you are just “seen-zoned,” then you can always unfriend him or her. Ikaw na nga nag-accept tapos “seen-zoned” ka lang. Unfriend agad! Gratitude and goodwill are words which social media whores are not aware of.
- CHECK GRAMMAR – please have some courtesy to your readers. Check your grammar before posting. Ngayon kung talagang bobo siya tapos mali-mali ang grammar, unfriend mo na lang, bakit mo pa naging friend yan at bumaba ang standards mo. Yung isang kilala ko sabi pa “di man ako succesful (successful) “tulad ng iba….” eh kaya pala epic fail ka sa buhay mo, you can’t even spell. Try nga natin, spell chrysanthemum! C-R-I….ay rose na lang…R-O-S-E!!!
- DON’T LET SOCIAL MEDIA RULE YOUR WORLD AND BE ADDICTED TO IT– some people are so obsessed with social media and they exert so much effort to the extent that they prioritize social media over special friends. Inuuna pa mag-post sa social media kesa mag-share sa taong close sa kanila. Kinareer talaga. I also know of some FB friends who like going “live” doing all sorts of stupid stuff or minsan nakatingin lang sa camera tapos dalawa lang naman ang nanonood. Mukhang tanga. It’s like a film maker who loves doing artsy films and no one watches. Isn’t that a sign for you to just stop? Just stop because social media doesn’t love you back. Will you die without social media??? No!!! Personal relationships should be valued more than virtual people.
- BE DISCERNING AND LIMIT YOUR POSTS / AVOID SCAMMERS IN SOCIAL MEDIA – you don’t have to post everything you do in social media. Your followers have a saturation point too and the worst part is if they get sick and tired and “umay” with your face, they might block or unfriend you. Also take care of what you post. Leave the naughty posts to the fame whores who will do anything for their 10 minutes of fame. Araw araw na lang may hubad kang posts??? Nakakaumay na katawan mo! Usually yung mga panay ang post sa social media ang kulang sa pansin and are nobody and they want to appear as somebody. Get a life! I also have an FB friend who actually sent money to someone he does not even know so he could buy a cellphone on installment. After he sent his first P5,000 down payment, he was immediately blocked. How stupid can he get for believing it was a legit transaction? May tawag sa kanya. It starts with a letter B and ends with an O.
- DON’T USE SOCIAL MEDIA TO HOOK UP WITH PEOPLE OR USE IT AS A PROSTITUTION GROUND – there are many people who use social media for cybersex. I also know of people who practically get naked in social media to attract bedmates (for free) or rich sponsors (for pay). They will post naked stuff for their lascivious intentions and they get angry kapag binabastos sila. Wow! Mag nun’s habit ka kaya or at least magdamit ka kung gusto mong igalang ka. So all you media whores, please don’t use social media as a pick-up joint. Huwag ninyo babuyin ang social media. Don’t make social media a flesh market. Doon kayo sa mga porn site bagay. Let’s make social media a happy place. Let’s only have good clean fun and share interesting stuff. After all, social media has (arguably) made this world a much better place.