Based on first-hand experience, here are 10 Ways To Survive Valentine’s Day…Alone:
FOR INTROVERTS WHO WANT TO STAY HOME:
- SLEEP / ITULOG MO NA LANG – Since Valentine’s Day falls on a freaking Wednesday, the best way to survive it is to ignore it as much as you can. Pumasok ka sa opisina at huwag mong pansinin kung meron mang nagpadala ng mga bulaklak sa mga girls sa office ninyo. Tutok ka lang sa work. Kung bookkeeper ka na ang kaharap mo libro all day long at nasa isang kuwarto ka lang na wala ka nakikita at walang nakakakita sa yo, good for you. Pero kung exposed ka sa mga officemates mo na may mga bulaklak na natanggap, hindi ka dapat mainggit. For all you know, para hindi sila magmukhang kawawa, sila lang ang nagpadala ng mga bulaklak sa sarili nila. Mag-OT ka after 5:30 PM tutal siguradong traffic naman yan. Around 8:00 PM ayun puwede ka na umuwi. So kung sa Cavite ka pa nakatira or in some faraway bundok, mga 11:00 PM surely nasa bahay ka na. Kumain ka, freshen up and then itulog mo na lang. Huwag ka na manood ng TV dahil baka puro love story ang palabas mainis ka lang na wala kang sariling love story. Sleep ka na lang. Before you know it, past 12:00 midnight na at tapos na ang Valentine’s Day. Tapos ang problema.
- MOVIE MARATHON – if being alone and loveless is not an issue for you, you can always spend Valentine’s night watching some romantic movies in the confines of your bedroom. Kung meron pa kayong DVD player, daming original DVDs binebenta which you can choose from. Among the more recent movies I can think of which you might want to watch are “Me Before You,” and “The Fault In Our Stars.” My favorites among the classics include “Love Story,” “Falling In Love,” “Love Affair,” “Sleepless in Seattle,” “Out of Africa,” and “Romeo and Juliet.” If you are into indies, don’t forget to check out “That Thing Called Tadhana” in case you were out of touch or living under a rock when this phenomenal film was shown in time for Valentine’s Day a few years back. Or “Kita Kita” was also such a nice, romantic movie na medyo depressing sa ending at sabayan mo na lang yung “Two Less Lonely People in the World” theme song ni KZ Tandingan na feeling mo ikaw si Alessandra Da Rossi or Empoy if you’re a guy. Oh I also remember a favorite film by Joey Reyes many years ago called “Radio Romance.” I loved that movie. Or kung may smart phone ka at naka-line, mag-member ka sa Netflix. Manood ka ng “The Crown” para magkaroon ka ng sense of history or “Altered Carbon” para tumaas ang blood pressure mo.
- COOK A DISH / BAKE A CAKE / FAMILY BONDING– my mom always finds time to cook especially when she wants to eat the food she likes. Why don’t you cook a classic family favorite dish like mechado or afritada or relleno and bake a cake pwedeng chocolate or caramel para may significance at may saysay naman ang Valentine’s night mo. It can be therapeutic and relaxing. Basta mag-bake ka to keep your mind occupied for the last remaining hours of Valentine’s night. If you have unruly, bratty pamangkins living with you, this would be the perfect time for you to bond with them. If you have kids but no partner, tell them that you’re preparing a special and sumptuous dinner and baking a cake so that they will have something to look forward to. This would be the perfect bonding time with your family. After all Valentine’s is about love and love is really about family.
- MAGGANTSILYO (CROCHET) / WATCH A BASKETBALL OR TENNIS GAME ON TV / WORKOUT IN YOUR ROOM VIA BODYWEIGHT EXERCISES – aside from supervising house chores, my lola used to always keep herself busy by doing all sorts of hobbies like gantsilyo (crochet/knitting), or macramé (knotting cord) or papier mache (crafting material made of paper pulp). She was never idle and was always into creative stuff. That kept her mind active. If you’re a guy, watch a nice basketball or tennis game on tv or better yet, mag-work out ka na lang sa room mo doing BodyWeight Exercises para macho ka pa and you’ll be buffed in time for the summer. It’s always better to be fit and fab at all times not for other people but for yourself for your physical and mental well-being. Health is wealth! Wala ka ngang date, eh ano ngayon, buffed na buffed ka naman. To look good is to feel good. Mag sour grapes ka na lang at isipin mo na lahat ng may date on Valentine’s night, puro unhealthy food naman ang kinakain at ikaw happy ka na eating two (2) boiled eggs, two (2) saba and isang (1) Gatorade. P94.00 lang yun ha busog ka na at guiltless ka pa.
- ONLINE CHAT / VIDEO CALL – if you’re into online stuff, why not engage one of your crushes in Facebook for an online chat and then video call? Para malaman mo kung ano talaga ang hitsura niya live. Ang dami kasi diyan, maganda lang or pogi sa photos dahil sa ilang toneladang filters and magic apps. Actually mukha na silang wax figures dahil sa katakot-takot na filters and wala na silang pores but when you meet them in person, iba ang hitsura at ang layo sa photo. When you meet, yung white turned into black and sexy turned into balyenish ala Ursula of Little Mermaid. This is your chance to find out kung pogi ba or maganda talaga yung FB crush mo. That’s for the wholesome part. If you’re kinda liberated and into these sleazy cybersex stuff, makipag sex chat ka at then video call. At least may kausap ka na, may kaaliwan ka pa. May isa akong kakilala, sus addict sa sex chat at video call. Kina-career niya araw-araw gabi-gabi. Palibhasa frustrated porn queen. Dream niya magka-scandal for 10 minutes of fame. Anyway, kung ang trip mo mga ganoon that’s fine. Kasi single ka naman. Wala ka naman sinasaktan. This is a free country and you can do whatever you want. You may be alone physically but at least may ka-partner ka naman virtually on Valentine’s night. They say love comes from unexpected places and you never can tell if love might be lurking in cyberspace. Basta ang importante, masaya ka. Sabi nga nung isang retired senator “gusto ko, happy kaaaaa…..”
FOR EXTROVERTS WHO WANT TO GO OUT:
- GO OUT WITH YOUR BARKADA – kung ayaw mo pang umuwi after work at gusto mo pang kumain sa labas na para kang timang na gusto mo pang makipagsabayan sa libo-libong tao na nasa labas on Valentine’s night, go out with your barkada. The best way to not feel alone is to be in a group para hindi ka naman mukhang tanga at kawawa na nag-iisa ka on Valentine’s night. Sabi ko kasi itulog mo na lang. Eh mas gusto mo pang lumabas at makigulo sa magulo eh di bahala ka sa buhay mo.
- INVITE YOUR BEKI OR TIBS BFFs TO GO OUT WITH YOU – para naman sa mga ayaw sa company ng obnoxious barkada and you feel that you want to be intimate and out on a “date” – if you’re a straight girl, mag-invite ka ng isang friend mong guwapong beki (or magandang tibs kung straight guy ka) para akalain ng mga tao na may “date” ka nga on Valentine’s night. Malay ba nila na bff mo lang ang guwapong beki na kasama mo. Yun nga lang pagsabihan mo si beki na umayos and to be discrete and act straight. Bawal maging obvious, flaming and screaming. Baka mas malakas pang tumili si beki sa iyo kapag nadapa at may makakita, masira pa ang diskarte mo pretending na may guwapong “date” ka. If you’re a guy at tibs naman ang kasama mo, tell her to act feminine dahil baka mas macho pa kumilos yan kesa sa yo. Dapat sexy, beautiful Max Collins at hindi barako Max Alvarado ang peg ng tibs date mo. Get a lipstick lesbo friend for your date.
- IT’S ASH WEDNESDAY SO GO TO CHURCH / HEAR MASS – I’m sure there will be special masses on Valentine’s day since it falls on Ash Wednesday. If you’re into church stuff, be there and be part of the choir so you won’t feel alone. There’s always this nice, warm fuzzy feeling of being part of a group where you share the same passion for a common cause which is church activity. Malay mo diyan mo mahanap yung true love mo na matagal mo na palang kilala hindi mo lang napapansin. Just like that Kenny Loggins song “For The First Time” where he differentiates looking from seeing – “I’ve been looking at you forever, but I’ve never saw you before…” Iba kasi yung look (superficial) sa see (deeper) just like hearing is different from listening. Kung sa umaga ka magpapalagay ng ash, be sure to NOT go out on a group date in the evening still wearing that ash on your forehead dahil magmumukha kang monster at nakakatakot ang hitsura mo. There is a time limit in keeping the ash on your forehead. Feeling mo kasi para maging holy ka kailangan hanggang 12 midnight may ash ka pa sa noo mo. One time we had a formal event in the evening which fell on Ash Wednesday. I swear yung foreign guests namin natakot doon sa isang kasama ko na nakaformal attire pero may ash sa noo. Ang dami-dami kasi. The ash occupied almost half of her forehead. She called attention to herself. So dapat lang inalis na niya for that event. Or kung ayaw talaga niya alisin dahil baka mabawasan ang bisa ng ash, dapat nag-bangs na lang siya to hide the ash. Geez I should write an article on how long you should keep the ash on your forehead. Akala yata niya may forever pero hindi forever yang ash so noo mo.
- TRAVEL TO A FAR-AWAY PLACE / GO SOUL SEARCHING – one other way to avoid being dateless on Valentine’s night is to leave the country and travel. Ilabas na ang bucket list and go visit the places you’ve longed to visit but never had the chance to. This will also be your chance to do some soul searching. Muni-muni. Who cares if you travel alone? Wala naman makakakita sa yo at kung meron man, ano ba pakialam nila eh nasa Europe ka naman doing a cross country tour. Iba kasi yung mag-isa at iba yun mag-isa pero nasa Europe ka naman. Travelling also enriches your soul and your wisdom! Iba kasi talaga ang dating ng isang taong well-travelled.
- HOST A HUGE AND LAVISH VALENTINE’S NIGHT PARTY – hindi na mahahalata ng mga guests mo na loveless ka at walang date on Valentine’s night kung ikaw ang host. They will only notice you are dateless if you’re the guest but not if you’re the host. All your amigas and amigos care about is that you invited them and that they are part of your guest list. Tipid pa sila dahil hindi na sila gagastos outside for their Valentine’s dinner. Host a huge and lavish party onboard a yacht or in a ritzy hotel. Make it the party to end all parties. After all, you’re rich right? Make the party super enjoyable. Don’t make it stiff. Ensure that after the expensive sit-down dinner (huwag common buffet ha) courtesy of the best chef in town (hire mo si Chef Gaita Fores), there will be dancing to make the night anything but boring. Hire dance instructors. Get the best DJs to spin the music. Go have a retro portion from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80, 90s up to the 00s. Let wine, beer and champagne flow. Remember, you may be alone but you don’t have to be lonely on Valentine’s night. Cheer up! Be creative! It’s not the end of the world. Valentine’s is really just an overrated and commercialized day of the year masquerading as a universal celebration of love! You’ll survive!!!
Photos borrowed from the internet.